[tc][all] Project deletion community goal for Train cycle

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Wed Jan 30 06:28:28 UTC 2019

 ---- On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 08:21:27 +0900 Adrian Turjak <adriant at catalyst.net.nz> wrote ----
 > Thanks for the input! I'm willing to bet there are many people excited
 > about this goal, or will be when they realise it exists!
 >
 > The 'dirty' state I think would be solved with a report API in each
 > service (tell me everything a given project has resource wise). Such an
 > API would be useful without needing to query each resource list, and
 > potentially could be an easy thing to implement to help a purge library
 > figure out what to delete. I know right now our method for checking if a
 > project is 'dirty' is part of our quota checking scripts, and it has to
 > query a lot of APIs per service to build an idea of what a project has.
 >
 > As for using existing code, OSPurge could well be a starting point, but
 > the major part of this goal has to be that each OpenStack service (that
 > creates resources owned by a project) takes ownership of their own
 > deletion logic. This is why a top level library for cross project logic,
 > with per service plugin libraries is possibly the best approach. Each
 > library would follow the same template and abstraction layers (as
 > inherited from the top level library), but how each service implements
 > their own deletion is up to them. I would also push for them using the
 > SDK only as their point of interaction with the APIs (lets set some hard
 > requirements and standards!), because that is the python library we
 > should be using going forward. In addition such an approach could mean
 > that anyone can write a plugin for the top level library (e.g. internal
 > company only services) which will automatically get picked up if installed.

+100 for not making keystone as Actor. Leaving purge responsibility to service
side is the best way without any doubt.

Instead of accepting Purge APIs from each service, I am thinking
we should consider another approach also which can be the plugin-able approach.
Ewe can expose the plugin interface from purge library/tool. Each service implements
the interface with purge functionality(script or command etc).
On discovery of each service's purge plugin, purge library/tool will start the deletion
in required order etc.

This can give 2 simple benefits
1. No need to detect the service availability before requesting them to purge the resources.
I am not sure OSpurge check the availability of services or not. But in plugin approach case,
that will not be required. For example, if Congress is not installed in my env then,
congress's purge plugin will not be discovered so no need to check Congress service availability.

2. purge all resources interface will not be exposed to anyone except the Purge library/tool.
In case of API, we are exposing the interface to user(admin/system scopped etc) which can
delete all the resources of that service which is little security issue may be. This can be argued
with existing delete API but those are per resource not all. Other side we can say those can be
taken care by RBAC but still IMO exposing anything to even permissiable user(especially human)
which can destruct the env is not a good idea where only right usage of that interface is something
else (Purge library/tool in this case).

Plugin-able can also have its cons but Let's first discuss all those possibilities.

-gmann