[all] Is the Denver Summit save?

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Tue Jan 29 19:50:35 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-29 2:40 p.m., Adam Spiers wrote:
> Anita Kuno <anteaya at anteaya.info> wrote:
>> One of the things I think we can agree on in an open source community
>> is the importance of making decisions about our own behaviour as
>> individuals, based on facts.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> I don't have an answer to the question posed. I do have some
>> suggestions for those interested on how to access facts in this matter.
>>
>> I find that reading multiple news sources on a given issue to be very
>> helpful as I try to understand the full picture.
>
> This is a great suggestion.
>> In this matter, I find that reading Canadian news sources,
>> cbc.ca/news, thestar.com (you will be prompted to subscribe, you don't
>> have to subscribe), and globeandmail.com (some articles are for
>> subscribers only) to be very useful. The Canadian news site
>> nationalpost.com used to be a source I read often, but now I believe
>> all articles are for subscribers only.
>> Internationally I find bbc.co.uk helpful.
>
> Yes, BBC News is probably still fine for most news outside the UK.
> Although FWIW (and at a risk of going off on a tangent) my personal
> opinion as a Brit is that whilst BBC has traditionally been a fairly
> reliable news source with a (global?) reputation for impartiality, sadly
> it is no longer in general quite what it used to be.  In particular I
> would recommend taking any coverage in which UK politics has a stake
> with a pinch of salt.

Thanks Adam, I'm always glad to have some commentary from folks who know
the source well. I've reserved rather a muddy space in my mind for the
current Brit political situation, I keep hoping today will be the day I
can understand it. Sadly today is, again, not the day.

If you have a suggestion for another international news source, I'm open
to adding it to my list as well. This invitation is open to any reader
of this email as well as Adam.

Thank you,
Anita