[baremetal-sig][ironic] Proposing Formation of Bare Metal SIG

Chris Hoge chris at openstack.org
Tue Jan 29 17:03:50 UTC 2019

This morning at the OpenStack Foundation board meeting we announced that
we will focusing more our open infrastructure messaging efforts on
bare-metal, and the promotion of Ironic in particular. To support these
efforts, I'd like to form a Bare Metal SIG to bring together community
members to collaborate on this work. The purpose of the Bare Metal SIG
will be to promote the development and use of Ironic and other OpenStack
bare-metal software. This will include marketing efforts like case studies
of Ironic clusters in industry and academia, supporting integration of
Ironic with projects like Airship and the Kubernetes Cluster API,
coordinating presentations for industry events, developing documentation
and tutorials, gathering feedback from the community on usage and feature
gaps, and other broader community-facing efforts to encourage the
adoption of Ironic as a bare-metal management tool.

If you would like to participate, please indicate your interest in the
linked planning etherpad. Ideally we would like to have broad engagement
from across the community, from developers and practitioners alike. We'd
like to highlight all of the efforts and usage across our community
communicate how powerful Ironic is for hardware management.

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/bare-metal-sig

Thanks in advance to everyone. I’ve been using Ironic to manage my home
cluster for quite a while now, and I’m really excited to be working on the
SIG and in supporting the efforts of the Ironic team and the users who
are running Ironic in production.

Chris Hoge
Strategic Program Manager
OpenStack Foundation