[tc][all][self-healing-sig] Service-side health checks community goal for Train cycle

Jean-Philippe Evrard jean-philippe at evrard.me
Mon Jan 28 11:11:17 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-01-28 at 11:29 +0100, Colleen Murphy wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019, at 11:44 PM, Jean-Philippe Evrard wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > As you might have seen on the ML, two of the 3 top contenders for
> > the
> > Train cycle community got some traction. Let's here talk about the
> > last
> > one: The service-side health checks.
> >
> > While people were interested in this goal previously, nobody really
> > came forward on the pre-work.
> >
> > Last week, I met a few of my colleagues to see what we can do
> > together.
> > Matt (irc: mattoliverau), Adam (irc: aspiers), and I discussed
> > about
> > the different ways to implement this new API, with the help of many
> > in
> > #openstack-sdk.
> >
> > Long story short, the current framework might be "good enough" for
> > extension already, as we could have extra "backends" (basically
> > "tests"),  to increase the coverage of this healthcheck endpoint.
> >
> > While the immediate next step would be to work on the v2 prototype
> > that
> > Graham started (see link [1], anyone is welcome to help there!),
> > the
> > next step would be far easier if it was crowd sourced: We need to
> > know
> > which service is already using that oslo middleware, which service
> > doesn't want to use it, and which service is already ready for
> > healtchecks.
> >
> > When we'll have a lay of the land, we'll know where the energy will
> > be
> > spent in this community goal: Would that be bringing
> > oslo.middleware to
> > <insert amount here> services or bringing common "backends" that
> > can be
> > used by each service (like DB/MQ/cache checks).
> >
> > I would be very happy if you could have a look at this ethercal
> > [2],
> > and add/edit your project capabilities there.
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> > Jean-Philippe Evrard (evrardjp)
> >
> > [1]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/617924/
> > [2]: https://ethercalc.openstack.org/di0mxkiepll8
> >

> I noticed the ethercalc has a column "Project has paste with
> healthcheck in pipelines in paste.ini". Is using Paste a requirement
> for this goal? If so, I think that's a non-starter.
>
> Keystone just removed Paste, but does already have support for
> healthchecks via oslo.middleware:
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/keystone/latest/admin/health-check-middleware.html
>
> Colleen

It is not a non-starter. I knew this would show up :)
It's fine that some projects do differently (for example swift has
different middleware, keystone is not using paste).

I think it's also too big of a change to move everyone to one single
technology in a cycle :) Instead, I want to focus on the real use case
for people (bringing a common healthcheck "api" itself), which doesn't
matter on the technology.

But I still would like to crowdsource the information about how
projects are doing things, as it would help understand the complexity
better.

Jean-Philippe Evrard (evrardjp)