[tc][all] Train Community Goal - CLI

Artem Goncharov artem.goncharov at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 10:20:42 UTC 2019

Hi everybody,

One of the community goals for Train is to work on deprecation of
individual clients in favor of unified OpenStackClient.  This in turn
consists (or might consist) from few individual targets:
- bringing current state of the CLI support for each service on par with
native service client (especially covering changes added with latest
microversions)
- ensuring SDK also supports all of the service/resource/attribute/method
- switching OSC service to SDK, as soon as it is on the same level, as
native service client (someone might argue, that this is a mandatory part
for reaching the target, but I personally this should be as important for
reaching the goal (in addition to avoid double work))
- deprecating individual clients (when prerequisites are fulfilled)

In order to drive a bit the whole goal I have started working on gathering
differences we have for services in OSC:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/osc-gaps-analysis. I tried to analyze
current state going from the API side, where for each service we have a set
of resources (with corresponding attributes) and methods on those. To
achieve that I was "parsing" a service documentation (do not kick me too
hard for that ;-) and processing it further, leaving overall info as "yaml"
since there is lots of info and in the background there are still some
source "documents". Resulting document in some form represent a current
status and a todo list.

I would be happy if people who feel responsible for implementing CLI would
have a look on that and provide a feedback, whether they find the whole
analysis helpful or not (if not whether there are better ideas on how to
track status and todo).

There is still a lot to be done even to figure out the current status, but
I feel we need to start moving if we want to achieve the target (even
switching just a few services would be already an achievement).

So, if you are willing to support the goal - please join me. Any help and
work is welcome.

Regards,
Artem