[ptl][goals][python3] please update your team's status in the wiki

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Jan 24 20:50:05 UTC 2019

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 1:16 PM, melanie witt <melwittt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 08:21:00 -0500, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>> I noticed this morning that the last time the Python 3 status page [1] was
>> updated in the wiki was August. I hope we've had changes to the level
>> of support since then.
>> Keeping that page up to date is part of fulfilling the goal this
>> cycle. Please take a few minutes to review the content today and update
>> it if necessary.
>> Thanks!
>> [1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3#Python_3_Status_of_OpenStack_projects
>
> Sorry for the late response to this, but I have a question.
>
> Looking at the wiki, I see that the previous status updates for nova were from before we started using mox3 in our unit tests. As of today, our unit tests pass under python3 because of mox3. Does that mean we are OK to mark our status as "Yes" for unit test support of python3 on the wiki?

The point is to accurately communicate the status rather than try to hit an arbitrary measure. So, if you are confident that the level of test coverage under python 3 is good, then go ahead and update the wiki to reflect that.

> Some notes on mox3: we've worked on removing mox3 from our unit tests over the past several cycles and today it is only present in a few of our test files:
>
> $ grep -rIn mox3 nova
> nova/tests/unit/cells/test_cells_messaging.py:21:from mox3 import mox
> nova/tests/unit/network/test_neutronv2.py:24:from mox3 import mox
> nova/tests/unit/network/test_manager.py:20:from mox3 import mox
>
> We advised folks not to spend time removing mox3 from cells v1 and nova-network unit tests, as cells v1 and nova-network are slated for removal from the code base, as soon as we're able (test_cells_messaging.py and test_manager.py). That leaves test_neutronv2.py as the only remaining file using mox3.

That sounds like a reasonable approach. I think I remember something about that when the mox goal was proposed, so it’s not a surprise.

Thanks,
Doug