[nova][ops] Problems disabling notifications on state changes

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Mon Jan 21 09:49:22 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 8:42 AM, Massimo Sgaravatto
<massimo.sgaravatto at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am disabling ceilometer on my OpenStack Ocata cloud.
>
> As fas as I understand, besides stopping the ceilometer services, I
> can also apply the following changes to nova.conf on the compute
> nodes:
>
> instance_usage_audit = True --> false
> notify_on_state_change = vm_and_task_state --> None
>

> I have a problem with the latter change:
>
> # grep ^notify_on_state_change /etc/nova/nova.conf
> notify_on_state_change=None
>
> but in the nova log:
>
> 2019-01-21 08:31:48.246 6349 ERROR nova ConfigFileValueError: Value
> for option notify_on_state_change is not valid: Valid values are
> [None, vm_state, vm_and_task_state], but found 'None'
>

> I have also tried setting
>
> notify_on_state_change=<None>
>

> but it complains that it is not a valid value
>
> I can simply comment that line, but I am afraid there is a problem
> somewhere

If you want to turn off all the notification sending from Nova, then I
suggest to add the following [1] to the nova.conf:
    [oslo_messaging_notifications]

    driver = noop

I verified in a devstack that if you not specify the
notify_on_state_change attribute in the config file then it properly
defaults to None. I think there is no way to specify the None value
othervise in the config file.

Cheers,
gibi
[1]