[neutron]How to ease congestion at neutron server nodes?

Simon Leinen simon.leinen at switch.ch
Fri Jan 18 14:42:31 UTC 2019

Cody  writes:
> What solution(s) other than DVR could I use to avoid north-south
> traffic congestion at the neutron server nodes? Basically, I wish to
> let VMs with floating IPs to route directly from their respective
> hypervisor hosts to the Internet.

Isn't that the DEFINITION of what DVR does? :-)

(Not using DVR myself, so I may be wrong.)

We push everything through those central nodes - we call them "network
nodes".  We try to alleviate the congestion by distributing routers
across multiple nodes, and within each node we make sure that the
forwarding plane (Open vSwitch in our case) is capable of using the
"multi-queue" feature of the underlying network cards, so that packet
forwarding is distributed across the multiple cores of those servers.
That helped us a lot at the time.
--
Simon.