Neutron tagging

cmnfths cmnfths at protonmail.com
Wed Jan 16 08:04:41 UTC 2019

Hi everyone!

Recently I've encountered a neutron issue related to port tagging mechanism, and wonder if anyone else ever did. The initial source of the issue was, as it seems, identical numeration of external VLANs' tags and OVS (exactly br-int) port tags. The VLAN tagged 222 was added to bridge br-ex and everything worked, but at some point firewall reported unusual traffic. Thus I'd found that there was a loop and 2 qr-* ports with the same tag 222 attached to br-int. After that I deleted them and the loop was gone.

So the question is what exactly these tags are? The same ethernet frame bits as 802.1Q tags? Where is a pool or something they're taken from? Is there any possibility to form such pool via configs or patches? Has anyone ever encountered such situation?

Thanks,
Andrew Th.