[all] Etcd as DLM

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu Jan 17 16:45:56 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 11:21:45AM -0500, Alan Bishop wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 10:37 AM Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com> wrote:
>
> > This thread got a bit sidetracked with potential use-cases for etcd3
> > (which seems to happen a lot with this topic...), but we still need to
> > decide how we're going to actually communicate with etcd from OpenStack
> > services. Does anyone have input on that?
> >

> I have been successful testing the cinder-volume service using
> etcd3-gateway [1] to access etcd3 via tooz.coordination. Work great,
> although I haven't stress tested the setup.
>
> [1] https://github.com/dims/etcd3-gateway
>
> Alan

Devstack by default (and therefore most gate testing by default) have been
using etcd3 via tooz for Cinder lock coordination for over a year now. Oh,
almost two years apparently:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/466298/14/lib/cinder

Other than some intermittent etcd availability issues that Matt Riedemann has
noticed recently, it appears to be working fine. Fine enough that I wasn't even
aware of it until Matt brought it up at least.

Sean