[dev][tc][ptl] Evaluating projects in relation to OpenStack cloud vision

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 01:40:13 UTC 2019

On 8/01/19 10:43 AM, Jay Bryant wrote:
> Julia and Chris,
>
> Thanks for putting this together.  Wanted to share some thoughts in-line
> below:
>
> On 1/4/2019 9:53 AM, Julia Kreger wrote:
>> As some of you may or may not have heard, recently the Technical
>> Committee approved a technical vision document [1].
>>
>> The goal of the technical vision document is to try to provide a
>> reference point for cloud infrastructure software in an ideal
>> universe. It is naturally recognized that not all items will apply to
>> all projects.
>
> The document is a really good high level view of what each OpenStack
> project should hopefully conform to.  I think it would be good to get
> this into the Upstream Institute education in some way as I think it is
> something that new contributors should understand and keep in mind.  It
> certainly would have helped me as a newbie to think about this.

I love this idea.

Looking at https://docs.openstack.org/upstream-training/ it seems that
the syllabus for Upstream Institute is (or will eventually be)
effectively the Contributor Guide, so a good first step would be to link
to the vision from the Contributor Guide:
https://review.openstack.org/631366

Any idea what else would be involved in making this happen?

thanks,
Zane.