[nova][glance] Granting image member access for snapshots (bug 1675791)

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 14:34:31 UTC 2019

On 1/15/19 8:40 AM, Eric Fried wrote:

> On 1/14/2019 6:04 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
>> I have a fix proposed
>
> The proposed fix is here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/630769/
>
>> for a pretty old bug (1675791 [1]). This
>> originally came up because of a scenario where an admin shelves a server
>> and then the owner of the shelved server cannot unshelve it since they
>> do not have access to the shelve snapshot image.
>>
>> The same is true for normal snapshot and backup operations though, see
>> this proposed spec for Stein [2].
>>
>> It also came up during the cross-cell resize spec review [3] since that
>> solution depends on snapshot to get the root disk from one cell to another.
>>
>> In a nutshell, when creating a snapshot now, the compute API will check
>> if the project creating the snapshot is the same as the project owner of
>> the server. If not, the image is created with visibility=shared and the
>> project owner of the instance is granted member access to the image,
>> which allows them to GET the image directly via the ID, but not list it
>> by default (the tenant user has to accept the pending membership for
>> that). I have tested this out in devstack today and everything seems to
>> work well.
>>
>> I am posting this to (a) raise awareness of the bug and proposed fix
>> since it is sort of a behavior change in the
>> createImage/createBackup/shelve APIs and (b) to make sure the glance
>> team is aware and acknowledges this is an OK thing to do, i.e. are there
>> any kind of unforeseen side effects of automatically granting image
>> membership like this (I would think not since the owner of the instance
>> has access to the root disk of the server anyway - it is their data).

This is an OK thing to do.  The Glance image sharing philosophy is that
the image owner can share with anyone and a shared image is immediately
usable by any of its members.  It's not accessible to any non-owner
non-members, and as you point out, it won't "spam" an image member by
showing up in the member's default image-list unless the member (not the
sharer) decides otherwise.

The only thing I can think of that might impact your propoal is the
'image_member_quota' configuration option in glance-api.conf, which
limits how many projects a single image may be shared with.  (It's not
really a quota, it's a hard limit across all users.)  The default is 128.

There's no limit to how many images a single project can be a member of,
so you don't need to worry about that.

>> Also note that some really crusty legacy code in most of the in-tree
>> virt drivers had to be removed (some virt drivers would change the image
>> visibility back to private during the actual data upload to glance)
>> which could mean out of tree drivers have the same issue.

Yes, this is an important point to note.  Since Ocata, when the 'shared'
and 'community' visibility values were added, an image with visibility
of 'private' is not accessible to any members of the image.  (The
visibility transition does not affect the member-list.  The member-list
persists even when the visibility has changed to a value that renders it
inert.)