[tc] [all] Please help verify the role of the TC

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Jan 14 20:29:33 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-14 14:16:51 -0600 (-0600), Sean McGinnis wrote:
[...]
> I could see having something where to be an eligible candidate,
> one would either need to be a current or a past PTL. There's
> definitely value in bringing that experience and perspective to
> the TC.
[...]

In principle, our charter doesn't even require candidates for TC
seats be recognized contributors to any project, only that they be
OSF individual members in good standing. In practice, the most
common way people get the visibility required to be elected to the
TC is to have already held another leadership role in the community,
frequently by serving as a PTL. While I haven't actually done the
math, I would wager more than half the people ever elected to the TC
have also been PTLs at some point, so I personally have doubts that
making it a policy would actually change anything.

A quick skim of the current sitting TC members, I believe 12 out of
13 are either presently or were formerly also PTLs.
--
Jeremy Stanley