[tc][telemetry][horizon] ceilometer-dashboard repository creation

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Jan 10 13:47:53 UTC 2019

Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> writes:

> On 2019-01-10 12:27:06 +0100 (+0100), Jakub SlĂ­va wrote:
>> our company created a little plugin to Horizon and we would like to
>> share it with the community in a bit more official way. So I created
>> change request (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/619235/) in order to
>> create official repository under project Telemetry. However, PTL
>> recommended me to put this new repository under OpenStack without any
>> project - i.e. make it unofficial.
>>
>> I have also discussed this with Horizon team during their meeting
>> (http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/horizon/2019/horizon.2019-01-09-15.02.log.html#l-31)
>> and now I am bit stuck because I do not know how to proceed next.
>> Could you, please, advise me?
>
> It looks like much of this confusion stemmed from recommendation by
> project-config-core reviewers, unfortunately. We too often see
> people from official teams in OpenStack request new Git repositories
> for work their team will be performing, but who forget to also
> record them in the appropriate governance lists. As a result, if a
> proposed repository looks closely-related to the work of an existing
> team (in this case possibly either Horizon or Telemetry) we usually
> assume this was the case and recommend during the review process
> that they file a corresponding change to the OpenStack TC's
> governance repository. Given this is an independent group's work for
> which neither the Horizon nor Telemetry teams have expressed an
> interest in adopting responsibility, it's perfectly acceptable to
> have it operate as an unofficial project or to apply for status as
> another official project team within OpenStack.
>
> The main differences between the two options are that contributors
> to official OpenStack project teams gain the ability to vote in
> Technical Committee elections, their repositories can publish
> documentation on the https://docs.openstack.org/ Web site, they're
> able to reserve space for team-specific discussions and working
> sessions at OSF Project Teams Gathering meetings (such as the one
> coming up in Denver immediately following the Open Infrastructure
> Summit)... but official project teams are also expected to hold team
> lead elections twice a year, participate in OpenStack release
> processes, follow up on implementing cycle goals, and otherwise meet
> the requirements laid out in our
> https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/new-projects-requirements.html
> document.
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

Jakub, thank you for starting this thread. As you can see from Jeremy's
response, you have a couple of options. You had previously told me you
wanted the repository to be "official", and since the existing teams do
not want to manage it I think that it is likely that you will want to
create a new team for it. However, since that path does introduce some
obligations, before you go ahead it would be good to understand what
benefits you are seeking by joining an official team. Can you fill in
some background for us, so we can offer the best guidance?

--
Doug