queens [magnum] patches

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jan 10 12:42:15 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-10 09:28:45 +0100 (+0100), Ignazio Cassano wrote:
> Hello Doug, sorry but I am not so expert of gerrit and how community
> process for patching works.

The Code and Documentation volume of the OpenStack Contributor Guide
has chapters on the Git and Gerrit workflows our community uses:

https://docs.openstack.org/contributors/code-and-documentation/

> I saw the https://review.openstack.org/#/c/577477/ page but I cannot
> understand if those patches are approved and backported on stable queens.
> Please, help me to understand....

Typically, we propose backports under a common Change-Id to the
master branch change. Here you can see that backports to
stable/rocky and stable/queens were proposed Monday by Bharat Kunwar:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/Ife5558f1db4e581b64cc4a8ffead151f7b405702

The stable/queens backport is well on its way to approval; it's passing
CI jobs (the Verified +1 from Zuul) and already has one of the
customary two stable branch core reviews (the Code-Review +2 vote
from Spyros Trigazis), so I expect it's well on its way to approval.

> For example: I cloned the stable/queens magnum branch, the file
> magnum/drivers/common/templates/kubernetes/fragments/configure-kubernetes-master.sh
> is different from the same file I downloaded from cherry-picks, so
> I presume the patch is not merged in the branch yet.

The stable/queens backport looks like it still needs some work, as
evidenced by the Verified -1 vote from Zuul. It's currently failing
CI jobs openstack-tox-pep8 (coding style validation) and
magnum-functional-k8s (a Kubernetes functional testsuite for
Magnum). The names of those jobs in the Gerrit webUI lead to
detailed build logs, which can be used to identify and iterate on
solutions to get them passing for that change.

> I presume the link you sent me (
> https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html#proposing-fixes
> ) is for developers....that's right ?

It's for anyone in the community who wants to help. "Developer" is
just a reference to someone performing an activity, not a
qualification.

> Thanks ans sorry for my poor skill
[...]

Please don't apologize. Skills are just something we learn, nobody
is born knowing any of this.
--
Jeremy Stanley