[dev][goal][python3][qa][devstack][ptl] changing devstack's python 3 behavior

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Jan 9 20:55:29 UTC 2019

Luigi Toscano <ltoscano at redhat.com> writes:

> On Wednesday, 9 January 2019 20:57:09 CET Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> writes:

>> > We have had a few +1 votes on the patch above with comments that
>> > indicate at least a couple of projects have taken the time to test and
>> > verify that things won't break for them with the change.
>> >
>> > Are we ready to proceed with merging the change?
>>
>> The patch mentioned above that changes the default version of Python in
>> devstack to 3 by default has merged. If this triggers a failure in your
>> devstack-based jobs, you can use the disable_python3_package function to
>> add your package to the list *not* installed using Python 3 until the
>> fixes are available.
>
> Isn't the purpose of the patch to make sure that all services are installed
> using Python 3 when Python 3 is enabled, but that we still need to set
> USE_PYTHON3=True?
>
> Ciao
> --
> Luigi

It is still necessary to set USE_PYTHON3=True in the job. The logic
enabled by that flag used to *also* require each service to individually
enable python 3 testing. Now that is no longer true, and services must
explicitly *disable* python 3 if it is not supported.

The USE_PYTHON3 flag allows us to have 2 jobs, with devstack running
under python 2 and python 3. When we drop python 2 support, we can drop
the USE_PYTHON3 flag from devstack and always run under python 3. (We
could do that before we drop support for 2, but we would have to modify
a lot of job configurations and I'm not sure it buys us much given the
amount of effort involved there.)

--
Doug