[Kolla] Queens for debian images

Marcin Juszkiewicz marcin.juszkiewicz at linaro.org
Wed Jan 9 13:04:56 UTC 2019

W dniu 09.01.2019 o 12:28, Jan Vondra pisze:
> út 8. 1. 2019 v 12:00 odesílatel Marcin Juszkiewicz
> <marcin.juszkiewicz at linaro.org> napsal:
>>
>> W dniu 08.01.2019 o 11:08, Jan Vondra pisze:
>>> Dear Kolla team,
>>>
>>> during project for one of our customers we have upgraded debian part
>>> of kolla project using a queens debian repositories
>>> (http://stretch-queens.debian.net/debian stretch-queens-backports) and
>>> we would like to share this work with community.
>>
>> Thanks for doing that. Is there an option to provide arm64 packages next
>> time?

> It's more of a question for OpenStack Debian Team - namely Thomas
> Goirand who creates this repo.

'Buster' has Rocky now. I was told by Thomas that Stein will follow.

>>> I would like to ask what's the proper process of contributing since
>>> the patches affects both kolla and kolla-ansible repositories.
>>
>> Send patches for review [1] and then we can discuss about changing them.
>> Remember that we target Stein now.
>>
>> 1. https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/How_To_Contribute#Reviewing
>>

> Thank you for help (and others with updated links) - I will upload
> patches today or tomorrow.

Thanks. Will review.

>>> Also any other comments regarding debian in kolla would be appriciated.
>>
>> Love to see someone else caring about Debian in Kolla. I took it over
>> two years ago, revived and moved to 'stretch'. But skipped support for
>> binary packages as there were no up-to-date packages available.
>>
>> In next 2-4 months I plan to migrate Kolla 'master' to Debian 'buster'
>> as it will enter final freeze. Had some discussion with Debian OpenStack
>> team about providing preliminary Stein packages so support for 'binary'
>> type of images could be possible.
>
> I suppose that switch from Queens to Stein would be quite easy since
> all packages in Queens in Debian are Python 3 only so the most of the
> work has been already done.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/625298/ does most of Python 3 packages
bring up for Ubuntu with Stein UCA and for Debian 'buster' (which itself
is not yet [1] supported in Kolla).

1. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/612681/