[goal][python3] week R-13 update

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Jan 7 20:12:21 UTC 2019

This is the weekly update for the "Run under Python 3 by default" goal
(https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/stein/python3-first.html).

== Ongoing and Completed Work ==

This week is the second milestone for the Stein cycle. By this point I
hoped to have python 3 functional test jobs in place for all projects,
but we still have quite a ways to go to achieve that. I have added a few
missing projects to the wiki page [1] and there is a *lot* of red on
that page. I count 21 projects without functional test jobs running
under python 3. We also have a few projects who don't seem to have
voting python 3 unit test jobs, still.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3#Other_OpenStack_Applications_and_Projects

Now that folks are mostly back from the holidays, my patch to change the
default version of python in devstack [2] is ready for approval. See the
other thread on this list [3] for details.

[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/622415/
[3] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-January/001356.html

== Next Steps ==

PTLs, please review the information for your projects on that page. If
you have a functional test job, please update that part of the table
with the name of the job. If you do not have a functional test job,
please add any information you have about plans to implement one (blue
prints, bugs, etc.) to the comments column in the table.

== How can you help? ==

1. Choose a patch that has failing tests and help fix
it. https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:python3-first+status:open+(+label:Verified-1+OR+label:Verified-2+)
2. Review the patches for the zuul changes. Keep in mind that some of
   those patches will be on the stable branches for projects.
3. Work on adding functional test jobs that run under Python 3.

== How can you ask for help? ==

If you have any questions, please post them here to the openstack-dev
list with the topic tag [python3] in the subject line. Posting questions
to the mailing list will give the widest audience the chance to see the
answers.

We are using the #openstack-dev IRC channel for discussion as well, but
I'm not sure how good our timezone coverage is so it's probably better
to use the mailing list.

== Reference Material ==

Goal description: https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/stein/python3-first.html
Open patches needing reviews: https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:python3-first+is:open