[nova] review guide for the bandwidth patches

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 17:40:22 UTC 2019

On 12/28/2018 4:13 AM, Balázs Gibizer wrote:
> I'm wondering that introducing an API microversion could act like a
> feature flag I need and at the same time still make the feautre
> discoverable as you would like to see it. Something like: Create a
> feature flag in the code but do not put it in the config as a settable
> flag. Instead add an API microversion patch to the top of the series
> and when the new version is requested it enables the feature via the
> feature flag. This API patch can be small and simple enough to
> cherry-pick to earlier into the series for local end-to-end testing if
> needed. Also in functional test I can set the flag via a mock so I can
> add and run functional tests patch by patch.

That may work. It's not how I would have done this, I would have started
from the bottom and worked my way up with the end to end functional
testing at the end, as already noted, but I realize you've been pushing
this boulder for a couple of releases now so that's not really something
you want to change at this point.

I guess the question is should this change have a microversion at all?
That's been wrestled in the spec review and called out in this thread. I
don't think a microversion would be *wrong* in any sense and could only
help with discoverability on the nova side, but am open to other opinions.

Matt