Fwd: [cinder] Is the cinder Active-Active feature OK?

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu Jan 3 13:34:26 UTC 2019

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 05:26:54PM +0800, Jaze Lee wrote:
> Hello,
>     In my opinion, all rest api will get to manager of cinder volume.
> If the manager is using DLM, we can say cinder volume can support
> active-active. So, can we rewrite the comments and option's help in
> page https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/master/cinder/cmd/volume.py#L78
>     ?
>
> Thanks a lot.

The work isn't entirely complete for active-active. The one last step we've had
to complete is for backend storage vendors to validate that their storage and
Cinder drivers work well when running with the higher concurrency of operations
that active-active HA would allow to happen.

As far as I'm aware, none of the vendors have enabled active-active with their
drivers as described in [1]. The other services (not cinder-volume) should be
fine, but the to complete the work we need vendors on board to support it with
the drivers.

Sean

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/contributor/high_availability.html#enabling-active-active-on-drivers