[nova] Granular locks in the API

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Wed Jan 2 19:31:03 UTC 2019

On 12/20/2018 1:07 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> I wanted to float something that we talked about in the public cloud SIG
> meeting today [1] which is the concept of making the lock API more
> granular to lock on a list of actions rather than globally locking all
> actions that can be performed on a server.
>
> The primary use case we discussed was around a pre-paid pricing model
> for servers. A user can pre-pay resources at a discount if let's say
> they are going to use them for a month at a fixed rate. However, once
> they do, they can't resize those servers without going through some kind
> of approval (billing) process to resize up. With this, the provider
> could lock the user from performing the resize action on the server but
> the user could do other things like stop/start/reboot/snapshot/etc.

On the operator side, it seems like you could just auto-switch the user
from fixed-rate to variable-rate for that instance (assuming you have
their billing info).

It almost sounds like this is just a convenience thing for the user, so
they don't accidentally resize the instance.

Looking at it more generally, are there any other user-callable Compute
API calls that would make sense to selectively disable for a specific
resource?

Chris