Issue with ceph and vault

Wouter van Bommel wouter.bommel at canonical.com
Thu Feb 28 03:35:56 UTC 2019

Hi,

I currently bumped into a situation in a cloud using both ceph and vault.
While adding a new node to the cloud all seemed fine, until I noticed
that on one node juju failed with the message: hook failed:
"secrets-storage-relation-changed"

Upon investigation it turned out that this node had a broken network
configuration that was not picket up earlier. The problem was, that the
vault instance could not be reached.

This was fixed, but I could not un-wedge the error. A juju resolve on
the node does not seem to have any effect.

Using the debug-log option from juju I do see the following lines that
do indicate the problem.

INFO:vaultlocker.dmcrypt:LUKS formatting /dev/disk/by-dname/osd1-part1
using UUID:4448f9fa-d291-403e-9826-7318e57cf1a4
Cannot format device /dev/disk/by-dname/osd1-part1 which is still in use.
vaultlocker: Command '['cryptsetup', '--batch-mode', '--uuid',
'4448f9fa-d291-403e-9826-7318e57cf1a4', '--key-file', '-', 'luksFormat',
'/dev/disk/by-dname/osd1-part1']' returned non-zero exit status 5

So the disk is in use. Which looks strange to me, as this machine could
never complete the hooks as the vault was unreachable.

I would like to get some advice on how to proceed.

Regrds,
Wouter