sriov bonding

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 10:36:21 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-02-27 at 08:38 +0100, Bence Romsics wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 8:00 AM Manuel Sopena Ballesteros
> <manuel.sb at garvan.org.au> wrote:
> > Is there a documentation that explains how to setup bonding on SR-IOV neutron?
>
> Not right now to my knowledge, but I remember seeing effort to design
> and introduce this feature. I think there may have been multiple
> rounds of design already, this is maybe the last one that's still
> ongoing:
>
> Neutron side:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1809037
>
> Nova side:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/schedule-vm-nics-to-different-pf
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/sriov-bond

most of the previous attempts have not proceeded as they have tried to hide the bonding from
nova's and neutron's data models vai  configs or opaque strings.

for bonding to really be supported  at the openstack level we will need to take a similar
a approch to trunk ports. e.g. we create a logical bond port and a set of bond peer ports
at the neutron api level then we attach the bond port to the vm.

currently im not aware of any proposal that really has tracktion.

you can manually create a bond in the guest but you cannot today guarentee that the
vf will come from different pfs.

one of the reason i think we need to go the logical bond port direction is that it will allow us to constuct
resouce requests using the fucntionality that is being added for bandwidth based schduleing.
that will make expressing affinity and anti affinty simpler useing the request groups syntax.
i personally have stopped trying to add bond support untill that bandwith based schduling effort is finished.