[tc][election] New series of campaign questions

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Feb 26 22:11:14 UTC 2019

On 2019-02-26 16:28:00 -0500 (-0500), Zane Bitter wrote:
[...]
> What I *do* think we need is to be able to have a roadmap for chunks of
> larger goals, to say we're going to do this chunk in T, this one in U, this
> one in V and it's going to deliver X benefit at the end even if the first
> part doesn't seem that useful.
[...]

And not that it's the only possible example, but a good recent one
is the Python 3 transition we've been undertaking for several cycles
already and have at least a couple more ahead of us before it's
done. We didn't say "switch to Python3 is a multi-cycle goal" and
instead broke it up into goal phases each manageable with a cycle
and with their own distinct completion criteria. This also provides
increased opportunity for retrospection at the end of each phase and
adjustment of the longer-term effort when we see a need.
--
Jeremy Stanley