[openstack-dev] [python3] Enabling py37 unit tests

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Feb 26 16:44:42 UTC 2019

On 2019-02-26 17:28:19 +0100 (+0100), Moises Guimaraes de Medeiros wrote:
> So, at this point, is it OK to have projects running against both
> py35 and py37 and considering py36 covered as being included in
> the interval?

For Stein (current master development) "...all Python-based projects
must target and test against, at a minimum: Python 2.7, Python 3.6."

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/runtimes/stein.html#python-runtime-for-stein

Also keeping 3.5 around and/or adding 3.7 is of course fine, but we
set the expectation that 2.7 and 3.6 are actually tested directly,
not just indirectly inferred to work.

> Also about the lowest supported version, I think that is the one
> that should be stated in the envlist of tox.ini to fail fast
> during development.
[...]

Any versions you're testing against in the CI system should also be
listed in your tox.ini envlist, ideally. Developers can choose to
run as many or as few of those locally as they desire of course.

And be careful with the word "supported" as people often think it
means something it doesn't. We do our best to avoid the term in our
guidelines, though we did also publish a Technical Committee
resolution clarifying what it means in cases where it does show up:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20170620-volunteer-support.html

--
Jeremy Stanley