[tc] [election] Candidate question: growth of projects

Rico Lin rico.lin.guanyu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 15:47:56 UTC 2019

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 7:14 PM Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org> wrote:

> There are 63 teams in the official list of projects. How do you feel
> about this size? Too big, too small, just right? Why?

Too big, because we actually contain some dead projects IMO. We should
contain those projects in some place until someone is ready to take over.

> If you had to make a single declaration about growth in the number
> of projects would you prefer to see (and why, of course):

 * Something else.
I prefer we thinking about restructuring in long-term. Projects don't make
much sense to me now a day. SIGs/WGs to making cross-project development
might be a better approach in the feature.

> How has the relatively recent emergence of the open infrastructure
> projects that are at the same "level" in the Foundation as OpenStack
> changed your thoughts on the above questions?

Not really, we could have multiple foundations trying on multiple projects.
To have a single Foundation willing to take over the part and evolved to
something else is pretty amazing.

> Do you think the number of projects has any impact (positive or
> negative) on our overall ability to get things done?

Yes, you need extra time to check with projects. And since we're doing
community goal approach, the bigger the number, the more complex the goal
will be.

> Recognizing that there are many types of contributors, not just
> developers, this question is about developers: Throughout history
> different members of the community have sometimes identified as an
> "OpenStack developer", sometimes as a project developer (e.g., "Nova
> developer"). Should we encourage contributors to think of themselves
> as primarily OpenStack developers? If so, how do we do that? If not,
> why not?

To named with Open Infra developer might be even suitable IMO, to allow
people to think and plan on a higher level.

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-February/002914.html
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-February/002923.html

--
May The Force of OpenStack Be With You,