[dev] [all] [ptl] Migrating legacy jobs to Bionic (Ubuntu LTS 18.04)

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Mon Feb 25 15:05:47 UTC 2019

Hi Everyone,

During Dec/Jan month, we have migrated the devstack jobs (zuulv3 native jobs) from Xenial to Bionic. [1].

But that did not move all gate job to Bionic as there are a large number of jobs are still the legacy job. All the legacy job still use Xenial as nodeset.
As per the decided runtime for Stein, we need to test everything on OpenStack CI/CD on Bionic - https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/runtimes/stein.html
This is something we discussed TC meeting as one of the Stein items to finish in openstack community[2].

I am starting this ML thread to coordinate the work to move all the legacy jobs to Bionic. I have created the
Etherpad to include more details and  status check for each project gate- https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/legacy-job-bionic

The approach is the same as we did for previous migration for devstack jobs.
1. Push patch which migrates the legacy base jobs to bionic - 1. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/639096/
2. Each Project team, add the testing patch with Depends-on on base patch (example 639096) and confirm the status
     of their gate on etherpad - Example: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/639017
3. Project jobs not using base job as parent, need to migrate their legacy job to bionic by own.

Please add yourself as your project volunteer in etherpad and update the status accordingly. I am tagging [ptl] in this thread so that they can assign
someone from their team if no volunteer.

Deadline: 1st April to merge the base legacy job to bionic.  That gives around 1 month to test the jobs which I feel enough for each project.
let me know if more time is needed, we can adjust the same. The goal is to finish this activity before Stein release.

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2018-December/000837.html
       https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/devstack-bionic

[2] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2019/tc.2019-02-07-14.00.html

-gmann