[oslo][operators] oslo.messaging and RabbitMQ SSL

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Thu Feb 21 20:56:24 UTC 2019

For the past few months, we've been investigating a significant bug when
enabling SSL for oslo.messaging connections to RabbitMQ.[0] Thanks to
some patient and excellent investigation, it was tracked down to an
issue in the amqp library that we use in oslo.messaging. The fix has now
been released as 2.4.1, and we've updated the requirements on master to
reflect that, but we can't backport requirements changes to the stable
branches. Since this affects releases going back to Pike, that's
potentially a lot of affected users. We're planning to release note[1]
all of the stable branches to communicate the need to use a newer
version of the library, but I also wanted to send an email to the list
in order to help get the word out. Basically, since we can't fix this in
the library itself I'm running a publicity campaign to let everyone know
what the fix is. :-)

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out here or on IRC in
#openstack-oslo. Thanks.

-Ben

0: https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.messaging/+bug/1800957
1: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/638461