[tc][election] campaign question: team approval criteria

Graham Hayes gr at ham.ie
Thu Feb 21 14:56:22 UTC 2019

On 20/02/2019 17:58, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> One of the key responsibilities of the Technical Committee is still
> evaluating projects and teams that want to become official OpenStack
> projects. The Foundation Open Infrastructure Project approval process
> has recently produced a different set of criteria for the Board to use
> for approving projects [1] than the TC uses for approving teams [2].
>
> What parts, if any, of the OIP approval criteria do you think should
> apply to OpenStack teams?

There was a line in the orignal draft of the OIP guidelines that I liked

> Project does not significantly harm another existing confirmed
> project.

This has since been removed, but I would have liked to see this as:

> Project does not harm another existing confirmed project.

and adopting that to our rules.

> What other changes, if any, would you propose to the official team
> approval process or criteria? Are we asking the right questions and
> setting the minimum requirements high enough? Are there any criteria
> that are too hard to meet?

I think the rules we have now are good, and now that we are becoming a
more stable project, most of our applications are nearly formalities.

For the more complex applications, I am not sure that adding any extra
rules will make it any better, as the TC will still have to take to
evaluate it.