Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 21:20:06 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-02-21 at 01:36 +0500, Ramsha Azeemi wrote:
> Thanks, I'll check them out.

for what its worth i personally used windows as my devepmetn clinetsystem and  connect to a remove linux system to run
openstack on for most of thetime i contributed to openstack.
one thing i found useful was to use cygwin on windows to provide a linuxlike environment. that allow my to git clone the
repos and in many case wasenought to allow me to run unitests, pep8 style check or docs envs locally on windows.
the linux subsystem for windows will similarly help.
openstack does use a number of c module that may or may not be available on windowspython distobutions so core service
like nova often do not work in there entirity butyou will find that most of the command line client or webservices,
espcally any of the webservice that can run under wsgi will actully work on windows.

with all of that said if you want to deploy and run openstack with devstack  or other toolsyou will be best served by
spingnin up a linux vm with hyperv or virtual box and sshing into that

in our upstream ci we typically use 8G vms with ~8 cpus and 50G of storage but you can actully reduce thediskspace down
to about 20G and its typeicaly fine for development. the extra storage in the ci is for logs andto allow testing ot the
storage services of opesntack.
anyway the point i wanted to make is often you can make small change to openstack on windows without needing linux but
your milage may vary and most development will typically be eaiser on linuxbut its not required for everything.