[first-contact-sig] Contributing from Windows

Jonathan Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Wed Feb 20 16:21:25 UTC 2019

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 03:50:21PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
:On 2019-02-20 15:31:49 +0500 (+0500), Ramsha Azeemi wrote:
:>  hi! i am windows user is it necessary to be a linux ubuntu user
:>  for contribution in openstack projects.

Welcome,

It's a big community with many different things that neeed doing so
whatever skills and resources you bring there is liekly a use for
them!

Jeremy's response was pretty extensive, just to undeline one of his
points, it depends how you want to contribute.

Most of OpenStack runs on Linux so would require some interaction with
Linux either as a VM or remote resource for testing.

Some parts however like Documentation, Translation, and the
Commandline Client are not tied to a particular operating system and
may be easier to work on directly in a non-Linux environment.

-Jon

:[I've added a subject to your message and tagged it for our "First
:Contact" special interest group, for better visibility.]
:
:I think it really depends on what sort of contributions you want to
:make, as far as how easy that would be without learning to make use
:of common Unix/Linux tools and commands. There are a number of ways
:to contribute to the community, many of which can be found outlined
:here: https://www.openstack.org/community/
:
:That said, it's hard to know what you mean by "windows user" or
:"linux ubuntu user" in your question. Are you worried about your
:ability to use command-line tools, or is there some deeper problem
:you're concerned with there? For example, if you are interested in
:contributing by improving the software which makes up OpenStack,
:then using a Linux environment will make you far more effective at
:that in the long run. To be frank, OpenStack is complicated
:software, and learning to use a Linux command-line environment is
:unlikely to be one of the greater challenges you'll face as a
:contributor.
:
:I gather we have quite a few contributors whose desktop environment
:is MS Windows but who do development work in a local virtual machine
:or even over the Internet in remote VM instances in public service
:providers. Also, I'm led to believe Windows now provides a
:Linux-like command shell with emulated support for Ubuntu packages
:(I was talking to a new contributor just last week who was using
:that to propose source code changes for review).
:
:So to summarize, I recommend first contemplating what manner of
:contribution most excites you. Expect to have to learn lots of new
:things (not just new tools and workflows, those are only the
:beginning of the journey), and most of all have patience with the
:process. We're a friendly bunch and eager to help newcomers turn
:into productive members of our community.
:--
:Jeremy Stanley