[all] Denver Forum Brainstorming

Kendall Nelson kennelson11 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 02:41:02 UTC 2019

Hello Everyone!

a classic conference track with speakers and presentations. OSF community
members (participants in development teams, operators, working groups,
SIGs, and other interested individuals) discuss the topics they want to
cover and get alignment on and we welcome your participation.  The Forum is
your opportunity to help shape the development of future project releases.

For OpenStack

Denver marks the beginning of Train’s release cycle, where ideas and
requirements will be gathered. We should come armed with feedback from the
upcoming Stein release if at all possible. We aim to ensure the broadest
coverage of topics that will allow for multiple parts of the community
getting together to discuss key areas within our community/projects.

For OSF Projects (StarlingX, Zuul, Airship, Kata Containers)

As a refresher, the idea is to gather ideas and requirements for your
project’s upcoming release. Look to https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Forum
for an idea of how to structure fishbowls and discussions for your project.
The idea is to ensure the broadest coverage of topics, while allowing for
the project community to discuss critical areas of concern.  To make sure
we are presenting the best topics for discussion, we have asked
representatives of each of your projects to help us out in the Forum
selection process.

There are two stages to the brainstorming:

1.If you haven’t already, its encouraged that you set up an etherpad with
your team and start discussing ideas you'd like to talk about at the Forum
and work out which ones to submit.

2. On the 22nd of February, we will open up a more formal web-based tool
for you to submit abstracts for the most popular sessions that came out of
your brainstorming.

Make an etherpad and add it to the list at:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Forum/Denver2018
<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Forum/Berlin2018>

This is your opportunity to think outside the box and talk with other
projects, groups, and individuals that you might not see during Summit
sessions. Look for interested parties to collaborate with and share your
ideas.

Examples of typical sessions that make for a great Forum:

   -

   Strategic, whole-of-community discussions, to think about the big
   picture, including beyond just one release cycle and new technologies
   -

      eg Making OpenStack One Platform for containers/VMs/Bare Metal
      (Strategic session) the entire community congregates to share opinions on
      how to make OpenStack achieve its integration engine goal
      -

   Cross-project sessions, in a similar vein to what has happened at past
   forums, but with increased emphasis on issues that are of relevant to all
   areas of the community
   -

      eg Rolling Upgrades at Scale (Cross-Project session) – the Large
      Deployments Team collaborates with Nova, Cinder and Keystone to tackle
      issues that come up with rolling upgrades when there’s a large number of
      machines.

      -

   Project-specific sessions, where community members most interested in a
   specific project can discuss their experience with the project over the
   last release and provide feedback, collaborate on priorities, and present
   or generate 'blue sky' ideas for the next release
   -

      eg Neutron Pain Points (Project-Specific session) – Co-organized by
      neutron developers and users. Neutron developers bring some specific
      questions about implementation and usage. Neutron users bring
      feedback from the latest release. All community members interested in
      Neutron discuss ideas about the future.

Think about what kind of session ideas might end up as: Project-specific,
cross-project or strategic/whole-of-community discussions. There'll be more
slots for the latter two, so do try and think outside the box!

This part of the process is where we gather broad community consensus - in
theory the second part is just about fitting in as many of the good ideas
into the schedule as we can.

Further details about the forum can be found at:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Forum

Thanks all!

Kendall Nelson, on behalf of the OpenStack Foundation, User Committee &
Technical Committee