[tc] Technical Committee Status report for February 19

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Feb 19 20:48:16 UTC 2019

This is a summary of work being done by the Technical Committee
members. The full list of active items is managed in the wiki:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Technical_Committee_Tracker

We also track TC objectives for the cycle using StoryBoard at:
https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/923

== Recent Activity ==

Project updates:

* Retire puppet-stackalytics
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/631820/
* Extra ATCs for I18n team
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/633398/
* Add roles for managing HSM hardware to OpenStack-Ansible
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/631324/
* Add os_mistral role to OpenStack-Ansible
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/634817/
* Remove instack from TripleO
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/635278/

Other updates:

* Zane Clarified the meaning of design goals in the technical vision
  document
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/631435/
* Ghanshyam added version-based feature discovery to the technical
  vision
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/621516/
* I fixed the tool that reports on status of governance changes against
  various voting rules to deal with formal votes properly
** https://review.openstack.org/#/c/636418/

== TC Meetings ==

The most recent TC meeting was on 7 February. Logs were sent to the
mailing list after the meeting.

* http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-February/002493.html

The next TC meeting is scheduled for 7 March @ 1400 UTC in
#openstack-tc. See
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/#Technical_Committee_Meeting for details

== Ongoing Discussions ==

Jean-Philippe has proposed adding openSUSE to the list of supported
platforms in the PTI.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/633460/

Ed Leafe has proposed creating a Placement team

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/636416/

We have a few conversations around the "help most wanted" list.

* Ivan is proposing to add Horizon to the existing list:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/633798/
* Lance is proposing to add a section about working on unified limits
  and quota management: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/637025/
* Thierry proposed creating a Padawan mentoring program, as part of a
  larger discussion around ways to replace the existing list:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/636956/

Thierry has also proposed a clarification to the technical goal setting
role of the TC.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/636948/

We are discussing whether it makes sense to use stackalytics reports
when making governance decisions or providing details about team from a
governance perspective. There is some question about the open nature of
the tool and whether the data collection algorithms have changed
recently with the updated implementation.

* Linking to metrics from team pages on governance.o.o:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/636665/
* Jeremy's patch to remove the team fragility tool, which uses
  stackalytics data: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/636721/

Rico has proposed a patch to record the fact that the new auto-scaling
SIG owns the auto-scaling-sig git repo. It isn't up to the TC to set
ownership, but we record the information along with other ownership
details so it can be used for building voter rolls.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/637126/

Gorka has proposed a patch to add the cinderlib repository to the cinder
team.

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/637614/

== TC member actions/focus/discussions for the coming week(s) ==

It's election time, so I expect most of us will be focused on the
discussions associated with the campaign.

== Contacting the TC ==

The Technical Committee uses a series of weekly "office hour" time
slots for synchronous communication. We hope that by having several
such times scheduled, we will have more opportunities to engage
with members of the community from different timezones.

Office hour times in #openstack-tc:

- 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
- 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
- 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

If you have something you would like the TC to discuss, you can add
it to our office hour conversation starter etherpad at:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tc-office-hour-conversation-starters

Many of us also run IRC bouncers which stay in #openstack-tc most
of the time, so please do not feel that you need to wait for an
office hour time to pose a question or offer a suggestion. You can
use the string "tc-members" to alert the members to your question.

You will find channel logs with past conversations at
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/

If you expect your topic to require significant discussion or to
need input from members of the community other than the TC, please
start a mailing list discussion on openstack-discuss at lists.openstack.org
and use the subject tag "[tc]" to bring it to the attention of TC
members.

--
Doug