[dev][keystone] Keystone Team Update - Week of 11 February 2019

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Mon Feb 18 21:38:59 UTC 2019

On 2/18/19 3:19 PM, Colleen Murphy wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2019, at 6:11 PM, Ben Nemec wrote:
>>

>> On 2/15/19 11:23 AM, Colleen Murphy wrote:
>>> ## Milestone Outlook
>>>
>>> https://releases.openstack.org/stein/schedule.html
>>>
>>> Feature freeze as well as final client release are both in 3 weeks. Non-client release deadline is in two weeks, which means changes needed for keystonemiddleware, keystoneauth, and the oslo libraries need to be proposed and reviewed ASAP.
>>
>> Reading this, it occurred to me that we probably shouldn't be applying
>> Oslo feature freeze to co-owned libraries. Most of those function more
>> as non-client libraries than the oslo.* libs, so there's no need to
>> freeze early.
>>
>> I've proposed https://review.openstack.org/637588 to reflect that in the
>> Oslo policy. If you have an opinion on it please vote!
>>
>> -Ben
>>
> Thanks for mentioning that, I didn't even notice that Oslo had an earlier freeze date. Arguably oslo.policy should be held to the same standard as the other Oslo libraries since it has such far reach. Oslo.limit not so much yet.

Oh, hmm. I forgot we had oslo.* libraries that were co-owned too. I
agree those should probably be kept to the Oslo feature freeze date.
I'll update the policy change to reflect that, and maybe make a note
that the policy is a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. If it makes
sense to freeze a library earlier then we should do that regardless of
what the policy says. I'm just trying to avoid stepping on other teams'
toes unnecessarily.

Note that oslo.limit falls under the "not released yet" exception
(unfortunately) so feature freeze doesn't apply to it at all.