[nova][dev][ops] can we get rid of 'project_only' in the DB layer?

Alex Xu soulxu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 05:16:38 UTC 2019

Add the maillist back, I missed from the previous reply...

melanie witt <melwittt at gmail.com> 于2019年2月16日周六 上午12:22写道:

> Thanks for the reply, Alex. Response is inline.
>
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 15:49:19 +0800, He Jie Xu <soulxu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We need to ensure all the APIs check the policy with real instance's
> > project and user id, like this
> >
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/api/openstack/compute/evacuate.py#L85-L88
> > Otherwise, any user can get any other tenant's instance.
> >
> > Some of APIs doesn't check like this, for example:
> >
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/api/openstack/compute/attach_interfaces.py#L55
>
> While I agree with this (policy check instance project/user instead of
> request context project/user), I'm not sure it's related to the
> project_only=True at the database layer. The project_only=True at the
> database layer only enforces request context project, which is what the
> second example here will also do, if policy contains
> 'project_id:%(project_id)s'. It seems to me that if we remove
> project_only=True from the database layer, we will get proper
> enforcement of request context project/user by the existing policy
> checks, if the policy is configured as such. And we default policy to
> either rule:admin_api or rule:admin_or_owner:
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/configuration/sample-policy.html
>
> So, it seems to me that changing policy enforcement from request context
> project/user => instance project/user would be a separate change. Please
> let me know if I'm misunderstanding you.
>
> One thing I do notice though, in your first example, is that the
> get_instance is done _before_ the policy check, which would need to be
> moved after the policy check, in the same change that would remove
> project_only=True. So I'm glad you pointed that out.

Emm...no, the first example is the right example.

project_only=True will ensure db call return the instance belong to the
project
in the request context. If project_only=False, the db call may return other
project's
instance.

Then when the rule is 'project_id:%(project_id)s' and the target is
instance's project_id,
the policy enforcement will ensure the request context's project id match
the instance's project_id,
then the user won't get other project's instance.