[all][tc] Formalizing cross-project pop-up teams

Rico Lin rico.lin.guanyu at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 06:09:42 UTC 2019

I definitely like the idea of a pop-up team in the house.

I also tend to agree with the opinion about visibility for a pop-up team.
We definitely need something with quick workflow. And allow people directly
start communicate and working on the goal.

Here's what I think we should do in advance.

1. To clear ways that we have to trigger cross-project development. To
clear the path and to document.

People have been trying a few formats to work on cross-project spec. After
time, some prove useful and gaining momentum on the way. And some getting
less.
But we never try to stop at a point and declare what's the way we should do
cross-project. And I'm pretty sure that's very confused for a lot of people
who might not always as a part of this community. To give official
recognition for ways that we think will cover the patch, and to officially
announce the unofficial for methods (which we might already done with in
ML/Meeting, but it's worth to bringing it to a more visible place.).
And most importantly to have it documented in our develop guidelines, so
message we send will be crystal clear for all of us all the time.

If we can keep broadcast around and tell people how they can set-up for
their requirement, than we actually get better chance to have more people
trying the right way of engage with us and give really useful feedback.

IMO, to use SIG as long-term (and repository demanded) path, and have a
pop-up team for short term trace sounds like a fully covered for me.

 2. Remove annoying channels.
I like the idea  if only use a single irc channel  to communicate for
multiple purpose

I feel the lack of time to work through  multiple channels and in multiple
communities. Which is really annoying.
So if we can have a general irc channel like openstack-dev, and allow
popup-teams move to specific irc channel if they see fit. To consider have
better visibility, a single channel for multiple team cores and leads to be
awarded of some pop-up works will definitely a benefit. I mean, how many
people actually capable to trace that much channel dally and happen to have
time to join development? Isn't that's why we comes up with
`openstack-discussion` for most mail to be in place? The down side is that
we didn't have tag filter for irc. but that's also a good thing to actually
know about works for pop-up teams.

3. Gaining visibility and official blessing
As agree on comments about gaining visibility, a session for all SIGs and
pop-up teams to shout out and raise their own most wanted help out.
We can do it in one single session and give 3-5 minutes for each team. Any
one also feel this is a good idea too?

--
May The Force of OpenStack Be With You,

*Rico Lin*irc: ricolin