[nova][dev] Which response code should be returned when migrate is called but the src host is offline?

Lee Yarwood lyarwood at redhat.com
Wed Feb 13 10:26:58 UTC 2019

On 12-02-19 14:35:48, Michael McCune wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 2:20 PM Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com> wrote:
> > In the scenario described, there is nothing wrong at all with the
> > servers handing the request. There is, however, a problem with the
> > resource that the request is trying to work with. Of course, the
> > advice in the docs to include enough in the payload for the client
> > to understand the nature of the problem is critical, no matter which
> > code is used.
>
> ++, i think this nuance is crucial to crafting the proper response
> from the server.
>
> peace o/

Right, hopefully the current payload is useful enough. I can't include
the actual hostname as the resize API that is also changed as a result
of this is not admin only and we don't want to leak hostnames to users.

For now I'm going to stick with 409 unless anyone can point to an
example in n-api of us using 5xx for something similar.

Thanks again,

--
Lee Yarwood                 A5D1 9385 88CB 7E5F BE64  6618 BCA6 6E33 F672 2D76