[tc] The future of the "Help most needed" list

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Feb 12 21:57:59 UTC 2019

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019, Colleen Murphy wrote:

> The way I see it, the TC Help Wanted list, as well as the new thing, is not
> necessarily oriented around newcomers but is instead advocating for the
> projects and meant to help project teams thrive by getting committed long-term
> maintainers involved and invested in solving longstanding technical debt that
> in some cases requires deep tribal knowledge to solve. It's not a thing for a
> newbie to step into lightly and it's not something that can be solved by a
> FC-liaison pointing at the contributor docs. Instead what's needed are mentors
> who are willing to walk through that tribal knowledge with a new contributor
> until they are equipped enough to help with the harder problems.

Thank you for writing this message and especially this ^ paragraph.
I've been watching this thread with some concern, feeling like the
depth of _need_ and _effort_ was being lost. You've captured it well
here and I think that this

> Finally, I rather disagree that this should be something maintained as a page in
> individual projects' contributor guides, although we should certainly be
> encouraging teams to keep those guides up to date. It should be compiled by the
> TC and regularly updated by the project liaisons within the TC. A link to a
> contributor guide on docs.openstack.org doesn't give anyone an idea of what
> projects need the most help nor does it empower people to believe they can help
> by giving them an understanding of what the "job" entails.

is right as well. In this instance the imprimatur of the TC is
supposed to give weight to the need. As important as the mentorship
programs and first contact efforts are, they are for a different
kind of thing.

Thank you.