[tc] The future of the "Help most needed" list

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Feb 11 16:01:40 UTC 2019

Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Kendall Nelson <kennelson11 at gmail.com> writes:
>> [...]
>> So I think that the First Contact SIG project liaison list kind of fits
>> this. Its already maintained in a wiki and its already a list of people
>> willing to be contacted for helping people get started. It probably just
>> needs more attention and refreshing. When it was first set up we (the FC
>> SIG) kind of went around begging for volunteers and then once we maxxed out
>> on them, we said those projects without volunteers will have the role
>> defaulted to the PTL unless they delegate (similar to how other liaison
>> roles work).
>>
>> Long story short, I think we have the sort of mentoring things covered. And
>> to back up an earlier email, project specific onboarding would be a good
>> help too.
>
> OK, that does sound pretty similar. I guess the piece that's missing is
> a description of the sort of help the team is interested in receiving.

I guess the key difference is that the first contact list is more a
function of the team (who to contact for first contributions in this
team, defaults to PTL), rather than a distinct offer to do 1:1 mentoring
to cover specific needs in a team.

It's probably pretty close (and the same people would likely be
involved), but I think an approach where specific people offer a
significant amount of their time to one mentee interested in joining a
team is a bit different. I don't think every team would have volunteers
to do that. I would not expect a mentor volunteer to care for several
mentees. In the end I think we would end up with a much shorter list
than the FC list.

Maybe the two efforts can converge into one, or they can be kept as two
different things but coordinated by the same team ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)