[nova] Can we drop the cells v1 docs now?

Mohammed Naser mnaser at vexxhost.com
Mon Feb 11 14:51:59 UTC 2019

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 9:43 AM Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have kind of lost where we are on dropping cells v1 code at this
> point, but it's probably too late in Stein. And technically nova-network
> won't start unless cells v1 is configured, and we've left the
> nova-network code in place while CERN is migrating their deployment to
> neutron*. CERN is running cells v2 since Queens and I think they have
> just removed this [1] to still run nova-network without cells v1.
>
> There has been no work in Stein to remove nova-network [2] even though
> we still have a few API related things we can work on removing [3] but
> that is very low priority. To be clear, CERN only cares about the
> nova-network service, not the APIs which is why we started removing
> those in Rocky.
>
> As for cells v1, if we're not going to drop it in Stein, can we at least
> make incremental progress and drop the cells v1 related docs to further
> signal the eventual demise and to avoid confusion in the docs about what
> cells is (v1 vs v2) for newcomers? People can still get the cells v1
> in-tree docs on the stable branches (which are being published [4]).

I think from an operators perspective, the documentation should at least be
ripped out (and any nova-manage commands, assuming there's any).  I guess
there should be any tooling to allow you to get a cells v1 deployment (imho).

Cells V2 have been out for a while, extensively tested and work pretty well now.

--
Mohammed Naser — vexxhost
D. 514-316-8872
E. mnaser at vexxhost.com