[infra][upstream-institute] Bot to vote on changes in the sandbox

Ildiko Vancsa ildiko.vancsa at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 17:43:38 UTC 2019

@Tony: Thank you for working on this!

> […]
>

>> 2. Upon seeing a new patchset to the change vote +2 (and possibly +W?)
>>    on the change
>
> If you're compiling a list of eventual features for the bot, another one
> that could be neat is, after the second patch set, the bot merges a
> change that creates a merge conflict on the student's patch, which they
> then have to go resolve.
>
> Also, cross-referencing [1], it might be nice to update that tutorial at
> some point to use the sandbox repo instead of nova. That could be done
> once we have bot action so said action could be incorporated into the
> tutorial flow.
>
>> [2] The details of what counts as qualifying can be fleshed out later
>>    but there needs to be something so that contributors using the
>>    sandbox that don't want to be bothered by the bot wont be.
>
> Yeah, I had been assuming it would be some tag in the commit message. If
> we ultimately enact different flows of varying complexity, the tag
> syntax could be enriched so students in different courses/grades could
> get different experiences. For example:
>
> Bot-Reviewer: <name-of-osi-course>
>
> or
>
> Bot-Reviewer: Level 2
>
> or
>
> Bot-Reviewer: initial-downvote, merge-conflict, series-depth=3
>
> The possibilities are endless :P

By having tags we can turn off the bot for the in person trainings while we can also help people practice different things outside of trainings so I really like the approach!

Once we have prototype working we can also think of putting some more pointers in the training slides to the Contributor Guide sections describing how to manage open reviews/changes to make sure people find it.

Thanks,
Ildikó