[all][tc] Formalizing cross-project pop-up teams

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Feb 7 20:27:39 UTC 2019

Adam Spiers <aspiers at suse.com> writes:

> Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>>Adam Spiers <aspiers at suse.com> writes:

>>>Agreed - a quickstart document would be a great first step.

>>>Yeah, good questions.  The official recognition is definitely
>>>beneficial; OTOH I agree that requiring steps up-front might deter
>>>some teams from materialising.  Automating these as much as possible
>>>would reduce the risk of that.
>>
>>What benefit do you perceive to having official recognition?
>
> Difficult to quantify a cultural impact ...  Maybe it's not a big
> deal, but I'm pretty sure it makes a difference in that news of
> "official" things seems to propagate along the various grapevines
> better than skunkworks initiatives.  One possibility is that the TC is
> the mother of all other grapevines ;-)  So if the TC is aware of
> something then (perhaps naively) I expect that the ensuing discussion
> will accelerate spreading of awareness amongst rest of the community.
> And of course there are other official communication channels which
> could have a similar effect.
>
>>>One challenge I see facing an after-the-fact approach is that any
>>>requests for infrastructure (IRC channel / meetings / git repo /
>>>Storyboard project etc.) would still need to be approved in advance,
>>>and presumably a coordinated approach to approval might be more
>>>effective than one where some of these requests could be approved and
>>>others denied.
>>
>>Isn't the point of these teams that they would be coordinating work
>>within other existing projects?
>
> Yes.
>
>>So I wouldn't expect them to need git repositories or new IRC
>>channels.
>
> Never?  Code and documentation doesn't always naturally belong in a
> single project, especially when it relates to cross-project work.
> Similarly, if (say) Monasca, Vitrage, and Heat all need an IRC channel
> in which to collaborate on a specific topic, it seems fairly clear
> that none of #openstack-{monasca,vitrage,heat} are optimal choices.

What's wrong with #openstack-dev?

> The self-healing SIG has both a dedicated git repository (for docs,
> code, and in order to be able to use StoryBoard) and a dedicated IRC
> channel.  We find both useful.
>
> Of course SIGs are more heavy-weight and long-lived so I'm not
> suggesting that all or even necessarily the majority of popup teams
> would need git/IRC.  But I imagine it's possible in some cases, at
> least.

Right, SIGs are not designed to disappear after a task is done in the
way that popup teams are. If a popup team is going to create code, it
needs to end up in a repository that is owned and maintained by someone
over the long term. If that requires a new repo, and one of the existing
teams isn't a natural home, then I think a new regular team is likely a
better fit for the task than a popup team.

--
Doug