[all][tc] Formalizing cross-project pop-up teams

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Thu Feb 7 14:42:27 UTC 2019

Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>Adam Spiers wrote:
>>[...]
>>Sure.  I particularly agree with your point about processes; I think
>>the TC (or whoever else volunteers) could definitely help lower the
>>barrier to starting up a pop-up team by creating a cookie-cutter
>>kind of approach which would quickly set up any required
>>infrastructure. For example it could be a simple form or CLI-based
>>tool posing questions like the following, where the answers could
>>facilitate the bootstrapping process:
>>- What is the name of your pop-up team?
>>- Please enter a brief description of the purpose of your pop-up team.
>>- If you will use an IRC channel, please state it here.
>>- Do you need regular IRC meetings?
>>- Do you need a new git repository?  [If so, ...]
>>- Do you need a new StoryBoard project?  [If so, ...]
>>- Do you need a [badge] for use in Subject: headers on openstack-discuss?
>>etc.
>>
>>The outcome of the form could be anything from pointers to specific
>>bits of documentation on how to set up the various bits of
>>infrastructure, all the way through to automation of as much of the
>>setup as is possible.  The slicker the process, the more agile the
>>community could become in this respect.
>
>That's a great idea -- if the pop-up team concept takes on we could
>definitely automate stuff. In the mean time I feel like the next step
>is to document what we mean by pop-up team, list them, and give
>pointers to the type of resources you can have access to (and how to
>ask for them).

Agreed - a quickstart document would be a great first step.

>In terms of "blessing" do you think pop-up teams should be ultimately
>approved by the TC ? On one hand that adds bureaucracy / steps to the
>process, but on the other having some kind of official recognition can
>help them...
>
>So maybe some after-the-fact recognition would work ? Let pop-up teams
>freely form and be listed, then have the TC declaring some of them (if
>not all of them) to be of public interest ?

Yeah, good questions.  The official recognition is definitely
beneficial; OTOH I agree that requiring steps up-front might deter
some teams from materialising.  Automating these as much as possible
would reduce the risk of that.

One challenge I see facing an after-the-fact approach is that any
requests for infrastructure (IRC channel / meetings / git repo /
Storyboard project etc.) would still need to be approved in advance,
and presumably a coordinated approach to approval might be more
effective than one where some of these requests could be approved and
others denied.

I'm not sure what the best approach is - sorry ;-)