[tc] The future of the "Help most needed" list

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Feb 7 11:06:46 UTC 2019

Doug Hellmann wrote:
> [...]
> During the Train series goal discussion in Berlin we talked about having
> a goal of ensuring that each team had documentation for bringing new
> contributors onto the team. Offering specific mentoring resources seems
> to fit nicely with that goal, and doing it in each team's repository in
> a consistent way would let us build a central page on docs.openstack.org
> to link to all of the team contributor docs, like we link to the user
> and installation documentation, without requiring us to find a separate
> group of people to manage the information across the entire community.

I'm a bit skeptical of that approach.

Proper peer mentoring takes a lot of time, so I expect there will be a
limited number of "I'll spend significant time helping you if you help
us" offers. I don't envision potential contributors to browse dozens of
project-specific "on-boarding doc" to find them. I would rather
consolidate those offers on a single page.

So.. either some magic consolidation job that takes input from all of
those project-specific repos to build a nice rendered list... Or just a
wiki page ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)