[cinder][nova][os-brick] os-brick initiator rename

Kulazhenkov, Yury Yury.Kulazhenkov at dell.com
Thu Feb 7 08:02:31 UTC 2019

Hi all,
Some time ago Dell EMC software-defined storage ScaleIO was renamed to VxFlex OS.
I am currently working on renaming ScaleIO to VxFlex OS in Openstack code to prevent confusion
with storage documentation from vendor.

This changes require patches at least for cinder, nova and os-brick repos.
I already submitted patches for cinder(634397) and nova(634866), but for now code in these
patches relies on os-brick initiator with name SCALEIO.
Now I'm looking for right way to rename os-brick initiator.
Renaming initiator in os-brick library and then make required changes in nova and cinder is quiet easy,
but os-brick is library and those changes can break someone else code.

Is some sort of policy for updates with breaking changes exist for os-brick?

One possible solution is to rename initiator to new name and create alias with deprecation warning for
old initiator name(should this alias be preserved more than one release?).
What do you think about it?

Thanks,
Yury