Rocky and older Ceph compatibility

Erik McCormick emccormick at cirrusseven.com
Wed Feb 6 17:55:17 UTC 2019

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 12:37 PM Linus Nilsson <linus.nilsson at it.uu.se> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on upgrading our cloud, which consists of a block storage
> system running Ceph 11.2.1 ("Kraken") and a controlplane running OSA
> Newton. We want to migrate to Ceph Mimic and OSA Rocky respectively. As
> part of the upgrade plan we are discussing first going to Rocky while
> keeping the block system at the "Kraken" release.

For the most part it comes down to your client libraries. Personally,
I would upgrade Ceph first, leaving Openstack running older client
libraries. I did this with Jewel clients talking to a Luminous
cluster, so you should be fine with K->M. Then, when you upgrade
Openstack, your client libraries can get updated along with it. If you
do Openstack first, you'll need to come back around and update your
clients, and that will require you to restart everything a second
time.
.
> It would be helpful to know if anyone has attempted to run the Rocky
> Cinder/Glance drivers with Ceph Kraken or older?

I haven't done this specific combination, but I have mixed and matched
Openstack and Ceph versions without any issues. I have MItaka, Queens,
and Rocky all talking to Luminous without incident.

-Erik