[kolla] Debugging with kolla-ansible

Erik McCormick emccormick at cirrusseven.com
Mon Feb 4 02:36:33 UTC 2019

On Sun, Feb 3, 2019, 9:17 PM Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com wrote:

> Heya,
>
> I'm chasing a bug at the moment, and have been able to recreate it with a
> stock kolla-ansible install. The next step is to add more debugging to the
> OpenStack code to try and chase down what's happening.
>
> Before I go off and do something wildly bonkers, does anyone have a nice
> way of overriding locally the container image that kolla is using for a
> given container?
>
> The best I've come up with at the moment is something like:
>
> - copy the contents of the container out to a directory on the host node
> - delete the docker container
> - create a new container which mimics the previous container (docker
> inspect and some muttering) and have that container mount the copied out
> stuff as a volume
>
> I considered just snapshotting the image being used by the current
> container, but I want a faster edit cycle than edit, snapshot, start
> provides.
>
> Thoughts?
> Michael

Easiest way would be to deploy from a local registry. You can pull
everything from docker hub and just use kolla-build to build and push the
ones you're working on.

Then just delete the image from wherever it's running, run a deploy with
--tags of the project you're messing with, and it'll deploy the new image,
or increment the docker tag when you push it and run upgrade.

If I'm missing something and oversimplifying, let me know :).

-Erik