Suggestions on OpenStack installer

Maruthi Inukonda maruthi.inukonda at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 16:43:44 UTC 2019

hi All,

We are planning to build a private cloud for our department at academic
institution. We are a born-in public-cloud institution.  Idea is to have a
hybrid cloud.

Few important requirements:
* No vendor lock-in of hardware and software/distribution.
* Preferably stable software from  openstack.org.
* Also need to support Accelerated instances (GPU,FPGA,Other PCIecard).
* On standard rack servers with remote systems management for the nodes
(IPMI based)
* Need to support Instances  [VMs (Qemu-KVM), Containers (Docker, LXC),
Bare metal (Ubuntu)].
* Workload will be Software Development/Test (on VMs) and Benchmarking (on
baremetal/container).
* Smooth upgrades.

Could anyone suggest stable Openstack installer for our multi-node setup
(initially 40 physical machines, later around 80)? Upgrades should be
smooth.

Any pointers to reference architecture will also be helpful.

PS: I have tried devstack recently. It works. Kolla fails. I tried
packstack few years back.

Appreciate any help.

cheers,
Maruthi Inukonda.