[Telemetry][TC]Telemetry status

Witek Bedyk witold.bedyk at suse.com
Wed Dec 18 12:19:19 UTC 2019

Hi,

we have held a presentation in Shanghai on that topic if that's of help
for anyone:

https://www.openstack.org/summit/shanghai-2019/summit-schedule/events/23932/transitioning-your-cloud-monitoring-from-ceilometer-to-monasca

We've compared the technology of Telemetry and Monasca and how specific
use cases like billing or auto-scaling are implemented. Monasca is a
valid replacement option for Gnocchi.

On 12/18/19 6:37 AM, Lingxian Kong wrote:
> 2. Monasca is also good, although it doesn't support auditing i.e.
> storing samples which is needed by billing purpose but I didn't see it's
> mentioned by anyone in this thread.

I have to disagree with that. Monasca is used for billing in production.

> What's more, it introduces kafaka
> which is not usually used in all other openstack core services.

Yes, we decided to use Apache Kafka as it's better suited than RabbitMQ
to pass large loads of data with high throughput. Building the system
around Kafka allows us to provide fault-tolerance and scalability.

Best greetings
Witek