[nova][metadata] EC2 compatible metadata deprecation

Artom Lifshitz alifshit at redhat.com
Tue Dec 17 15:10:48 UTC 2019

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 9:49 AM Mikhail Fedosin <mfedosin at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> In the documentation I noticed that EC2 metadata may soon be removed from Nova [1]. Currently, we use EC2 metadata in our product to obtain public and private IP addresses, as well as the instance-type (flavor). Therefore, I would like to ask you a couple of questions.
> 1. Do you plan to ensure compatibility before removing EC2 metadata from the system, i.e. to add these fields to the OpenStack metadata, which is not yet available?
> 2. When is it expected that EC2 metadata will be removed from the system?

Nova's in-tree ec2-api has already been removed [2] (though I can't
find the commit that did it). That being said, the out-of-tree ec2-api
project [3] is still around and kicking (just barely, looking at the
commit history, but it's not inactive).

[2] https://opendev.org/openstack/nova/src/branch/master/nova/api
[3] https://opendev.org/openstack/ec2-api